Tuesday, June 18, 2024

My Failing Memory

 

 

Some 20 years ago I was a member of the Symphony Club organized by the Malaysian Philharmonic Orchestra (MPO). I used to play this piece called “Mattinata” on my violin together with other violinists accompanied by a pianist in our Symphony Club.  This piece was composed by the Italian composer Ruggiero Leoncavallo.  Mattinata translated from Italian into English as means “Morning”  

Yesterday I was trying to recall the name of this piece. I could only remember this song or music starting with “M” … something like “Matini” but could not exactly remember the full name. But I remember it was something like “The Morning Breaks” or was it “The Morning” or something like that but could not recall.

It was definitely not “Peer Gynt - Morning Mood" by the Norwegian composer Edvard Grieg, a classical work I know well. 

 I tried very hard to get the name out, but I just could not. I could not even recall the tune. I know I have this sheet music among thousands of other sheet music I have collected in my music library. So, I searched all my music books but could not find it. I could not even remember the tune.

Then suddenly this morning on waking up, this tune suddenly sang into my mind. It just sang inside automatically. I didn’t even think of it anymore. I was asleep seconds earlier.   

Yes, I then remember the tune, but what is the name?  I searched all over Google without success. Then I remember the Italian operatic tenor Luciano Pavarotti sang it. I then searched all the songs Pavarotti sang and found it as “Mattinata”  

I guess I am beginning to lose my memory. I can remember and retain a lot of things I studied in the universities but sometimes they took me a lot of time to recall them, even the term for it.

 It was inside my head, I knew it, but I just could not get it out verbally. Then suddenly they all came out. Once out, all the fine details just flowed out like water in a river.  Once that word or title comes out, I can then talk on it for hours or write pages on it, but often even a simple name gets blocked for several minutes. It is inside my head, I know it, but I could not express it verbally. It just got blocked.  Something is wrong with my memory now. It is not Alzheimer’s disease for sure.

Now that I remember, I like to share my joy with you. We share things together unselfishly till our souls leaves this world with eternal joy. 

Here is the sheet music for Mattinata (Morning)

1.      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7A3z91bZ_s

2.      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7A3z91bZ_s

Some other light classical music I used to play on my violin are:

         https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_6zN2kpfgY


jb 

No comments:

Origin of Viruses, Viral Diseases and Monkey Pox

Origin of Viruses, Viral Diseases and Monkey Pox  by:  ju-boo lim I have been reading a lot of news about monkeypox or mpox over the l...