Tuesday, December 10, 2019

The Collapse of the Stars


The End of Stars Forum Discussion

One of the questions I asked during our academic forum discussions on “The End of Stars” was this question

How was that when the critical Chandrasekhar mass limit is reached, the electrons can no longer resist each other and gravity overcomes their electromagnetic repulsion? 

When that happens the white dwarf can no longer be supported and the core collapses further, fusing electrons and protons into neutrons now held up by the mutual repulsion of neutrons to become a neutron star.

My question is how was that gravity which I thought is the weakest of all forces has now become the strongest overpowering even nuclear forces that kept protons and electrons apart.

The best guess I can give is that the mass of the star must be been so enormous, maybe 3 or more solar masses that the product of their masses is so colossal that they overwhelmed the nuclear forces that kept the protons and electrons apart.

I am unsure as I am not a physicist let alone a nuclear physicist. I am just learning fascinating facts in this interesting course.

I really hope Dr. Grant PhD (Astrophysics) can explain to clarify


No comments:

The Body is Just A Biochemical Factory or Is It?

  Following my article posted only a few hours ago here: Allopathic, vs. Osteopathic and Other Systems of Medicine: A Choice in Therapeutic ...