Thursday, September 23, 2010

My skill with the violin

Dear SK, and all,

Please do not give the impression to others that I am an expert violinist. I am NOT. The violin dubbed as the King of Instruments is exceedingly difficult to play. You need to start learning it at a tender age of 4-6 years old, and continue with it until you are a teenager and older. You need to put many hours of practice into it before you can handle classical concert pieces.

I am not. I picked up the violin not at a age of 6, but at 60 and I am still learning it with many bowing techniques where I am still yet to master. It is very difficult at my age. I need to read the notes and practice on the difficult passages repeatedly first before playing the full score.

I can play almost all light classical pieces without much difficulty but not those violin concertos which are far too difficult for me. These are normally handled by celebrated professional concert violinists where they learn from young for another 10 -15 years.

Playing the violin is a life-long learning, and I am not suited for that since I took it up as a hobby 5 yerars after my retirement.

There is much for me to learn

jb lim

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 11:44 PM, Tan Seng Khoon ++ wrote:


Dear JB,

I admire your great talent and interest in music and also your expertise in playing the violin.

I am a music moron. But I can play the guitar a little. Also a bit of the drum. Hope to pick up more next year.

Rgds,
Khoon.


----- Original Message -----
From: Ir T O Lau
To: JB Lim
Cc: Tan Seng Khoon ; Pastor David ; Magdalene Lim ; Josephine Wong ; Joseph Ng Moo Eng ; Hon Too Fang ; C K Cheong
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2010 10:22 PM
Subject: Toselli's Serenade -- Soothing Music


Dear Dr JB,

Thanks so much for the enlightenment about the music.....this goes to prove your extraordinary versatility, i.e. an artist and a scientist at the same time (that I knew it already after reading many of your emails in the past).

I'm only too privileged and delighted to be a friend of yours whom you would unselfishly pass on your invaluable knowledge!

The youtube music played by Andre Rieu is really very nice and soothing to the mind and soul. Totally enjoyed it.

Cheers,

T O Lau

P/s: I notice that you didn't copy your mail to other e-buddies. Hope you wouldn't mind my doing so to let them know about the music.

No comments:

Applications of Biotechnology in Sciences and Medicine

  Biotechnology and Its Applications in Sciences and Medicine Since the days of independence of Malaya, medical officers have always been ...