Here’s a letter I received from Dato Dr Ong Eng Leong
Prof. Dr JB Lim,
Do you ever wonder where your soul will go after you pass away? Or have you already found peace, knowing exactly where it will end up?
And what about all the knowledge and experiences you’ve gathered throughout your life—the wisdom you long to pass on? Will your soul have the ability to inspire or guide another person? Or might you return to this world once more, to continue the journey of teaching and sharing all over again?
4/08, 2:49 pm
I thought this is worth sharing with everyone who is in presently in existence. Here are my thoughts and reply for all
Dear Dato Dr Ong Eng Leong,
Thank you for your beautiful and thought-provoking letter. Your questions do not merely ask about death; they invite us to reflect on the meaning of life itself. They are questions that philosophers, scientists, poets, and theologians have pondered for thousands of years.
Where does the soul go after we die?
What happens to everything we have learned, loved, regretted, forgiven, and hoped for?
Can the wisdom of one life continue to illuminate another?
These questions have no answer that science can prove with certainty. Science can describe what happens to the body, but it cannot yet measure the soul. Beyond that boundary, each of us must walk by faith, reason, experience, and hope.
A Life Never Completely Ends
One thought has always given me comfort.
Even before we speak about eternity, something of every human being already survives. Our words remain in the memories of our children. Our kindness continues in those we encouraged. Our mistakes become lessons for those who witnessed them. Our forgiveness frees hearts long after we ourselves have gone.
In that sense, none of us disappears entirely.
Like a candle lighting another candle, the first flame is not diminished. It simply multiplies its light.
The Mystery of Returning
I also understand why many people find comfort in the idea of reincarnation, the thought that the soul may return to continue learning and teaching. There is something deeply appealing about believing that one lifetime is not enough to complete the unfinished work of love and wisdom.
Whether or not that is how eternity unfolds, I believe the longing behind that idea reveals something profoundly human: we wish that goodness should continue, that knowledge should not be wasted, and that love should never have an ending.
The Weight of a Lifetime
As I grow older, I realise that what matters most is not only what we achieved, but how we treated others along the way.
I think about the mistakes I made.
The unintentional hurts I caused.
The regrets I still carry.
I think about those who were unkind to me, and the grace of learning to forgive them.
I think about the compassion we extend to strangers, the helping hand offered without expecting repayment, and the quiet acts of love that history will never record.
Perhaps these are the true treasures of the soul.
What Science Can—and Cannot—Tell Us
As someone who has spent much of my life in medical and scientific research, and life-long learning even after retirement, I have learned to respect evidence. Science has taught us how the heart beats, how the brain thinks, and how cells communicate with astonishing precision.
Yet science also teaches humility.
The greatest scientists—from Newton to Einstein—understood that every discovery opened new mysteries. The existence of consciousness itself remains one of the deepest unanswered questions. We can observe brain activity, but whether consciousness is entirely produced by the brain or reflects something beyond it remains an open philosophical question.
In that uncertainty, humility becomes wiser than certainty.
My Personal Hope
For me personally, my deepest peace rests elsewhere.
Above all, I place my soul in complete trust in Jesus Christ.
His words have always been my greatest comfort:
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live." — John 11:25 (KJV)
My hope is not that I will return again and again, but that God, who gave life, will also preserve it beyond death.
That hope gives meaning to both my successes and my failures. It encourages me to forgive, because I have received forgiveness. It reminds me to love, because love is the only wealth that death cannot steal.
Perhaps the greatest question for me is not simply, "Where will my soul go?"
Perhaps it is also, "What part of my soul am I leaving behind today?"
Every conversation, every act of kindness, every lesson shared with a child or a friend becomes a small seed planted in another life.
Whether our journey continues in ways we fully understand or not, we can live so that our light continues long after our footsteps have faded.
Life flows through a river .
Blood flows through veins.
Electricity flows through the heart.
Light flows across the universe.
Knowledge flows from teacher to student.
Love flows from one soul to another.
A teacher dies, but his teaching continues.
A scientist dies, but her discovery continues.
A parent dies, but his love continues in his children.
A writer dies, but her thoughts continue in the minds of readers.
Love flows from one soul to another
Knowledge can be forgotten.
Possessions can disappear.
Even our names may eventually fade.
We are not merely receivers of life; we are conduits through which life flows onward.
Above all, I put my soul in complete trust in Jesus to deliver me safely throughout eternity.
With warmly love
lim ju boo
No comments:
Post a Comment