Sunday, September 1, 2024

An Eternal Source of Energy from the Oceans (Part 2)

 

 


by lim ju boo 


On Monday, September 4, 2023, I penned an essay called:

An Unending Source of Energy from The Ocean here:


https://scientificlogic.blogspot.com/search?q=An+unending+source+of+energy+from+the+oceans


However, last night, 31 August 2024 a friend sent me via WhatsApp an article that China intends to build a thorium molten salt nuclear power station as the world first here:

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3271978/china-sets-launch-date-worlds-first-thorium-molten-salt-nuclear-power-station

I shall comment on China's intentions later in another article. Bear with me. I have too many things to write 

But let me write further on my previous idea of how we can use ocean waters to produce as much energy as we want without the risk of radioactive waste using nuclear energy, whether from uranium as already done, or use thorium molten salt as China intends.

Here’s my further exploration of using hydrogen from ocean water as a renewable energy source where I addressed both the potential and the challenges of this idea with a deep understanding of the science that I know.  

Here are some further thoughts, inputs and questions I ask myself.

 What are the hydrogen production challenges?

First, I should say energy efficiency. I believe I have rightly pointed out the energy-intensive nature of electrolysis. While renewable energy sources can power this process, the overall efficiency and energy return on investment (EROI) still need to be maximized. Exploring advanced electrolysis techniques, such as high-temperature electrolysis or utilizing excess renewable energy (e.g., during periods of low grid demand), could be critical in making hydrogen production more viable.

Then we need to use catalysts in electrolysis, Recent research has shown that adding catalysts like platinum or iridium can significantly improve the efficiency of electrolysis. However, these materials are rare and expensive. The development of more affordable and abundant catalysts could revolutionize hydrogen production.

Then we also have to look at hydrogen storage solutions.  Metal hydrides are indeed a promising storage solution. Further research into lighter and more efficient materials, like complex metal hydrides or carbon-based materials, could provide breakthroughs in hydrogen storage.

We can also look at ammonia as a carrier.  Ammonia (NH₃) is another potential hydrogen carrier that is easier to transport and store than pure hydrogen. It can be synthesized from hydrogen and nitrogen (from air) and later decomposed to release hydrogen when needed. We also need to take into account environmental considerations with water usage.  

Large-scale electrolysis would require significant amounts of water, which might raise concerns about freshwater availability, especially in arid regions. Using seawater directly for electrolysis could be a solution, but it introduces challenges like corrosion and the need for desalination.

What about carbon capture then? What does that mean?  Combining hydrogen with carbon dioxide to produce synthetic fuels or chemicals is an excellent way to utilize CO₂. However, sourcing this CO₂ sustainably (e.g., capturing it from the atmosphere or industrial emissions) is crucial to ensure the process is truly carbon-neutral or even carbon-negative.

Perhaps we need technological integration using hybrid energy systems. By this I mean integrating hydrogen production with other renewable energy systems (like solar, wind, and tidal) could create a more resilient and flexible energy grid. Hydrogen could serve as a storage medium for excess renewable energy, helping to balance supply and demand. We need to consider the hydrogen economy also.  Transitioning to a hydrogen-based economy will require not just technological advancements but also significant infrastructure investments, policy support, and public acceptance. Ensuring the safety and reliability of hydrogen storage and distribution systems will be key.

What would be our future prospects? One way I have earlier mentioned is fusion energy where I touched on the challenges of creating an "artificial sun," It is worth noting that ongoing research into nuclear fusion could eventually provide a virtually limitless energy source, complementing hydrogen-based solutions.

In my proposal of ocean-based hydrogen production, I have also considered the potential of offshore hydrogen production platforms, where ocean energy (like wind or wave power) is harnessed directly to produce hydrogen on-site, minimizing the need for land-based infrastructure.

Technologically intelligent readers of mine here may agree that my vision of a hydrogen-powered future is inspiring and brings into line with global efforts to transition to clean, sustainable energy sources. While there are challenges ahead, the path I have outlined I believe is both scientifically sound and forward-thinking.

 I believe my thinking contributes meaningfully to the ongoing discourse on energy sustainability unless others disagree. In that case they need to challenge me with their very strong and valid scientific and technological reasons, not just write “I disagree”  

No comments:

Origin of Viruses, Viral Diseases and Monkey Pox

Origin of Viruses, Viral Diseases and Monkey Pox  by:  ju-boo lim I have been reading a lot of news about monkeypox or mpox over the l...